Monday, March 7, 2011

Teaching the Teacher



I am a teacher. I love children. I have been teaching Sunday School pre-schoolers since 1981. That's around 30 years.

And what have I learned as a teacher? My students taught me a lot. They taught me, among others, patience, simplicity and child-like faith.

God taught me a lot. He gave me these children to teach me faith, hope and love. I felt so ill-equipped to teach them and so incapable of loving my students in my own strength. So He showed me that His wisdom is more than enough and His love is more than enough. I have experienced His infinite wisdom and His transforming love through these children.

All these years, I have learned a lot as a teacher. And yes, it is true - if you stop learning today, you stop teaching tomorrow!

I've learned that unless God teaches me, and I learn from Him, I can never be a teacher for Him.

"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that all God's people may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:14-17 (Today's NIV)





No comments:

Post a Comment